In the current section of this course, we are learning about nutritional studies, specifically the different types of research methods that are executed in order to dispel the… TRUTH!
The most recent “credible” peer-reviewed cohort study I read, revealed that: DONUTS ARE HEALTHY!
Notice the quotation marks around the word credible, people – That is what we like to call nutrition quackery!
In any case, the reason why I bring this up is because…
I want you to give me a pat on the back… Bah ha ha!
Okay: NO, not really… Actually, fellow blogger Lisa, the brains behind the website: THE SKINNY ON HEALTH (who also happens to be studying nutrition as well as public health – she’s on the road to earning her RD, peeps!) and I, decided to do our own SINGLE-BLIND STUDY (a study in which one party, either the investigator or the subject/patient – in this case – the subject/patient, does not know what they are ingesting) to determine whether or not our taste buds are up to par.
OR IN OTHER WORDS: we took turns blind folding each other as we TASTE TESTED HERBS AND SPICES - sort of like one of the challenges the contestants on TOP CHEF have to endure!
I hypothesized that I would ace this masked experiment because I was essentially raised in a kitchen (yes, slept in the pantry on loaves of Wonder Bread, if you were wondering – ha! See what I did there?), while Lisa was a little less confident in what her outcome might be despite her love of rosemary and thyme.
Check out WHO CAME OUT ON TOP! Oh and by the way… The loser, had to endure a NASTY punishment!
In between bites of these “deliciously” PUNGENT seasonings… Lisa and I mentioned how healthy herbs and spices truly are! Check out some of the health benefits of each one we sampled below! Oh and I promise this information comes from credible and trust worthy sources!
- Mint stimulates digestive enzymes that can not only help you alleviate digestive issues and nausea, but can also help stimulate weight loss! This herb can also help improve memory and heal headaches!
Peace out, migraines and explosive stomach rumbles!
- Several studies have been conducted on the health and medical benefits of garlic. These studies have shown extensive preventative and treatment effects on various heart conditions (like hypertension and heart disease) and different cancers.
Screw garlic breath, shovel this allium yo face!
- Basil is rich in antioxidants, making it a potent anti-inflammatory herb. Mainly, this causes anti-aging properties, but it can also help reduce swelling.
The next celebrity “fad” face lift perhaps?
- Rosemary is a potent antioxidant, making it an effective anti-inflammatory. It may also prevent cancer, protect against macular degeneration, improve memory and concentration, enhance brain functioning, and even aid in healthy digestion! It’s a superherb or just plain SUPERB!
This herb will hug your eyeballs and brain, when eaten!
- I don’t need to tell you how amazing Turmeric is here – you already know from this post!
I do not recommend trying the turmeric challenge though!
- If you suffer from respiratory tract disorders, gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, menstrual cramps, and urinary tract disorders, oregano might be able to help! Also, if you apply this herb topically, you could potentially treat skin conditions such as acne and dandruff!
I want an Italian sausage right now, what about you?
- Paprika may have the ability to lower the risk of cancer thanks to it’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties! Did you know paprika is apart of the capsaicin family?
Uh, anyone ever watch Blue’s Clues back in the day? Paprika always reminds me of Salt and Pepper’s baby!
- This herb has the ability to cure styes and aid pink eye as well as clean cuts (that you got when cooking?). Ladies, if you suffer from intense menstrual cramping, thyme could help sooth the internal stabbing. On top of that, thyme is also a common remedy for stomach ailments, lung congestion, coughing ailments and overall flu conditions.
It’s NATURAL MIDOL!
SO TELL ME:
- Have you ever been jealous of a fillet of beef or a salmon fillet because they’re doused in herbs and spices?
- If you had to name you unborn child an herb or spice name, what would it be and why?
- Do you think Lisa and I should open up an Italian-Indian FUSION restaurant?
- What’s your favorite herb/spice?
- What celebrity would you like to blindfold and then push into a wall?
- Have you ever done the cinnamon challenge?
- Do you have any requests for a video I should make for a future episode of GiGi Eats?
- Are you joining the FIT & FUNNY FOODIES this Thursday (2/6) at 5pm (PST)/ 8pm (EST)?! The ingredients needed are listed HERE!