Kyra Williams, the Get In Shape Girl, has decided to join me as I feast on celebrities!
Check out what she’s gnawing on today as she guest posts on GiGi Eats Celebrities!
…Is upon us and to celebrate let’s play a game of GUESS THOSE ABS!!
(Insert cheesy game show voice here.)
Check out the photos and guess from the list of celebs below. The don’t forget to check out the end of the post to find out the answers!
a. Salma Hayek
a. Gwen Stefani
c. Heidi Klum
a. Jennifer Aniston
b. Jessica Alba
c. Kristen Bell
Now that I’ve got you thinking about the part of our bodies that most of us are so intimidated to bare, let’s talk about the proper way to train them in order to get abs super fast!
Aside from eating clean (the most important key to achieving the coveted six pack) there are two more keys to unlocking those abs.
- Strength Training. You gotta lift heavy to develop muscle. I’m not just talking about doing crunches – you have to have muscle all over your body since there is no such thing as spot training. Make sure your training program includes all of the body parts, and don’t be scared to challenge yourself with weights. For example, you would want to work within the rep ranges of 8 – 12 and perform at least 3 sets of each exercise. So when you perform that exercise, your weight should be challenging. If you can do 12 reps with ten pound weights, then it’s time to use heavier weights and go back down to eight reps. You have to have muscle on your body if you want to have visible muscle so don’t think you can cardio your way to abs – you gotta lift!
- High Intensity Interval Training. Also known as HIIT, this is exactly what it sounds like – you work really intensely for short intervals of time. The benefits from HIIT are increased aerobic capacity (the ability to work more intensely and feel okay doing it), an increased metabolism, and increased caloric output, and it has an anabolic effect which means that you don’t burn muscle doing this kind of cardio. Typically you would work to increase your heart rate to about 90% of your heart rate max (220 – age) 5 – 10 times for about 60 seconds, with a 90 second recovery period between intervals.
If you put the two of these together, they will be the 1-2 punch that you need to get yourself a set of enviable abs for the summer.
Here’s a workout for you to do that includes both strength training AND high intensity interval training:
Here are the answers to that game of GUESS THOSE ABS!
(Beyonce, Gwen Stefani and Kristen Bell)
Now, go try that workout.. you may be spotted next!
So let’s hear it…
- Did you guess the right celebs?
- Have you noticed a difference in your abs since you started weight training?
- What helps you get closer to having a six pack?
The Get In Shape Girl
Kyra Williams has not always been known as The Get in Shape Girl. She used to be quite the opposite in fact. Through college Kyra was very unhealthy – living off of pizza and beer, and post college her weight was as high as 160+ pounds due to total inactivity. One day it clicked and she knew it was time to lose the weight.
Since then Kyra has never looked back and has fallen so in love with all things fitness she has made it her life’s work to help others make the changes necessary in their lives to become fit, active and healthy.
Kyra, AKA The Get in Shape Girl is a self employed, NASM certified online personal trainer and nutrition expert, with two cookbooks and a 12 Week Workout Plan available for purchase online.