I feel EXTREMELY bad for cocktail weenies. They REEAALLLLYYY lost in the name department.
Imagine if you met someone named Cocktail Weenie… The first thing you would think (or at least I would)…
I wonder how many ‘EAT ME‘ signs were stuck on his back in grade school? And I wonder if people STILL do it…”
Mmmm… Smoky, fatty, crusty cocktail weenies, with a little ketchup, but of course. Sure, the name is rather unfortunate, and sort of reminds me of a poorly titled porn but those raunchy thoughts of mine aside… Cocktail weenies (I’m talking pigs in a blanket here people!) were among my favorite, no, wait, they were my FAVORITE appetizer served at parties when I was a kid, you know… When my tongue was able to TANGO with gluten… And when I gave zero f***s about MSG, nitrates, and the fact that hot dogs are repulsive.
Exhibit B: Please see Exhibit A.
Oh, the good old ignorant days!
YEP! I was that little A-HOLE who could smell the scent of these little magical bundles of pork from miles away, come galavanting (I may or may not have crashed a party or two in my day) and then… SCARF them all before anyone else even knew they were available, to begin with!
Oh… how the times have changed… Nowadays, if I see those piglets… I run in the opposite direction… Or really, just in the direction of the salmon appetizer!
Throwing in back to Taiwan last year with the Food Pervert!
That doesn’t mean that I didn’t stop fantasizing about how tantalizing those little
uncircumcised looking weiners kilted piggies while shoving savoring a few dozen salmon and avocado wrapped in cucumber horderves in my face…
Which is why I decided to transform these franks in jackets… Into Franklins in Leather Coats (i.e. make them healthier… Did that not come off?)
To see how I erected (har har) such wiener winks… Watch the latest GiGi Eats!
REVAMPED PiGs iN BLANKETS
- 2 grass-fed/finished all-beef hot dogs
- 2 Bilinski’s chicken dogs (flavor variety of your choice)
- 1 small/medium eggplant
- salt & pepper, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- cooking spray
Here piggy… Piggy!
- Slice your eggplant lengthwise, lay on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes, or until you see water bubbles sprouting up from the eggplant.
- Take a damp cloth and wipe the “sweat” off the eggplant.
- Sprinkle eggplant with pepper and oregano, spray with cooking spray and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes (feel free to flip slices over after 5 minutes).
- Remove eggplant from oven and let cool for a minute. Cut up your beef and chicken dogs into 3 sections. Then take your eggplant, slice the “sheets” appropriately so as to wrap around your dogs snuggly.
- Place wrapped dogs back on baking sheet and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven (turn it off, ha!) and serve with sugar-free ketchup and/or mustard!
SO TELL ME…
- When heading to a party (or hosting your own), what appetizer do you get most excited about?
- What is ONE food you will NEVER put in your mouth?
- Eggplant, yay or nay?
- Did any type of food make an appearance in your dream last night?
- What’s your favorite summertime light bite?
- What’s the weirdest/worst name you’ve ever heard (for a person)?