Mike is photobombing us…
Now Mike is not a very healthy “eater”… In fact, he is a HUGE DEVOTEE (quite the understatement) of those salt-infested Hungry Man Meals and don’t even get me started about how AMPTED he gets by home-style Marie Callender’s entrees… Especially the fried Pork Chop and Mashed Potatoes option.
I question those who make a B-Line for this meal in the freezer section.
Sarah Grace and I tried so very hard to convince him of how HORRIFICALLY ATROCIOUS such meals are… But, he’s quite the “metal head” and wasn’t very responsive to our concern for him… In fact we do recall him “beeping” at us several times with contempt, it seemed as if he were complaining that microwavable meals are his only option because he only has so much time.
I am calling your bluff Mike.
Despite his distaste for what we had to tell him about his beloved fare… Sarah Grace and I decided to do some sleuthing through the Whole Foods frozen meal section in order to find, what we believe to be, the healthiest meal options currently available.
Try & stop me from opening EVERY DOOR…
Now it’s one thing to be healthy, but it’s another to taste as good as grandma’s artery-clogging, ooey-gooey cheese-infested noodle casserole with chunks of fatty pork hot dogs baked into the mix…
Those dogs are mackin’ on that cheese…
Good thing Whole Foods is the equivalent of Sarah Grace and I heading to Disneyland… We find scouring the labels (which can be crazy deceptive, by the way… AKA: Organic does NOT necessarily mean healthy, FYI) of ALL the boxed meals to be far more amusing than Space Mountain and The Indiana Jones Ride!
Did someone say “Whole Foods hot bar”?
As for taste testing… Well, you’ll have to see if these meals we selected left us raring to go like a 5-year-old waiting in line for Peter Pan’s Flight or left us nauseated like one might get after riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad…
Mike actually wound up helping us too…
Top Five Healthiest Frozen Meal Options Available At Whole Foods (in Sarah Grace & my opinion) + Stats:
Saffron Road Lamb Saag with Basmati Rice
Here, have some vomit with a side of fluff!
- 300 calories, 12 g fat, 36 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g sugar
- INGREDIENTS: Spinach Sauce: Spinach, Water, Diced Tomatoes (Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Cream, Onions, Tomato Paste, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Garlic Puree (Garlic, Water), Ginger, Sea Salt, Spices, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Turmeric. Basmati Rice: Water,Basmati Rice, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Ginger, Garlic Puree (Garlic, Water). Lamb: Boneless Lamb, Nonfat Yogurt (Cultured Nonfat Milk, Pectin), Water, Rice Starch, Ginger, Sea Salt, Garlic Puree (Garlic, Water), Spices
Artisan Bistro Wild Salmon with Organic Vegetables & Grains
Does that piece of “fish” looks like a mustache… Or am I just seeing things?
- 310 calories, 18 g fat, 21 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g sugar
- INGREDIENTS: Brown Rice, Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon, Water, Green Beans, Red Bell Pepper, Sugar Snap Peas, Zucchini, Basil, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Garbanzo Beans, Parsley, Parmesan Cheese [Pasteurized Cow’s Milk, Culture, Salt, Flow Agent (less than 2% Microcellulose Crystalline)], Garlic Puree, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Corn Starch, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Romano Cheese [Pasteurized Cow’s Milk, Culture, Salt, Flow Agent (less than 2% Microcellulose Crystalline)], Xanthan Gum, Rosemary. Allergens: Contains Salmon, Milk
Beetnik Organic Peruvian Seasoned Chicken Stew
We promise it’s chicken… Actually, we can’t promise anything.
- 130 calories, 1 g fat, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 6 g sugar
- INGREDIENTS: Organic Tomatoes (organically grown vine-ripened fresh peeled tomatoes, organic tomato juice and sea salt), Organic Chicken, Organic Red Bell Peppers, Organic Yellow Bell Peppers, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Cumin, Sea Salt, Organic Basil, Organic Black Pepper, Organic Red Peppers, Organic Cayenne Pepper
EVOL Fire Grilled Steak Bowl
Sarah is hungry… For rubber!
- 400 calories, 20 g fat, 38 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber, 1 g sugar
- INGREDIENTS: Black Beans, Rice, Red and Green Bell Peppers, Grilled Steak (Beef, Water, Potato Starch, Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Spices), Cilantro, Corn, Canola Oil, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Lime Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper
Applegate Farms Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
Every woman’s dream… And man’s too?
- 110 calories, 8 g fat, 0 g carbohydrates, 9 fiber, 0 sugar
- INGREDIENTS: Organic Grass-Fed Beef, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Spices, Organic Dehydrated Garlic, Organic Dehydrated Onion, Organic Paprika, Celery Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Coriander, Mace, Ginger, White Pepper
So Tell Me…
- Do you have a “friend” named Mike in your life?
- Is your freezer packed with frozen meals? What’s your favorite brand?
- Tell me about the WORST MEAL you’ve ever had…
- Do you get a little immature with your food… When it’s shaped like CERTAIN THINGS?
- Have you ever tried any of the above meals? Thoughts?
- What’s your favorite grocery store?
- Did you catch on the the Mike reference?