Joan Rivers and I met a couple of times when I worked at E! Entertainment.
“THE TWINS” circa Feb 2011! OMG am I wearing… GASP: HEELS? Check us out now MAKING POP TARTS!
I’m still shocked she never once told me that my outfits look like regurgitated remnants of a broken garbage disposal.
The dress code in the GiGi Eats kitchen!
She didn’t even say ANYTHING about my Adidas sandals that have been surgically fused to my feet for the past 6 years.
I wonder how many plastic surgeons have had requests for “Adidas feet”?
Because of this… And for many other reasons, including her snarky word vomit, The Food Pervert and I decided to pay tribute to the late and irreplaceable comedic gem in our latest Book To Plate episode.
While Joan may not have been known for her culinary skills, she did in fact have a recipe published in an Irish Charity Cookbook a few years ago. Lets just say this recipe is not as lavish as a Valentino gown with a plunging neck line, studded with diamonds and sprinkled with gold shavings (?). In fact, her recipe is blander than… A solid white tank you might find falling off a hanger at Good Will.
While The Perv and I whipped up Joan’s excruciatingly difficult recipe, we also went a step further and created a different kind of “toast” that could certainly sashay its way down the runway at Paris Fashion Week.
This recipe would definitely be the “look (or in this case BITE) of the week” on Fashion Police (Friday nights on E!). Check it out:
- 4 Large Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1 Medium Lemon, Juiced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Bunch Parsley, Diced
- 3 Large Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 4 – 6 Anchovies (or Sardines), chopped (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Olive Oil (or Spray)
- Cheese (optional/ if you’re perverted)
- Roast Mushrooms in oven at 400 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes.
- While mushrooms cook, combine all gremolata ingredients into a bowl and stir.
- When mushrooms are done, top each cap with sauce and they’re ready to work it down your tongue runway!
“Red Carpet Ready” Toast
- 2 Slices White Bread
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter
- Avocado (optional)
- Uh…. If you don’t know what to do here… I cannot help you because Tara had to make this.
- What is the your favorite “number” that sashays down your TONGUE RUNWAY?
- Were you a fan of Joan Rivers and her offensively good-humored persiflage?
- If you had to “toast” to Joan, what would you make?
- Are you a fan of “The Fungus”?
- Do you think anyone could fill Joan’s Manolo Blahniks, so to speak? If so, who?
- Socks and sandals, yay or nay?
BY THE WAY: THE FOOD PERVERT, AKA: TARA REDFIELD will be making her DEBUT on TELEVISION (TNT to be exact) THIS FRIDAY (October 3)!!! FORGET about going out to dinner that night, INSTEAD… Tara should be ON THE (YOUR) MENU! EEPS! SO excited!!!!!
Linked to: Waste Not, Want Not Wednesday